MSK 015 Quad VCA
US$458.15 including shipping
Also available as an SDIY kit.
Never run out of VCAs again
So you're patching your synthesizer, deep into a groove, and you run into
a wall: not enough VCAs. We've all been there. Whether adding a voice,
bringing in a modulation source, modulating the modulators, or panning
signals around in stereo or quadraphonic sound, every new patch idea seems
like it calls for just one more voltage-controlled amplifier.
This module gives you four. Four clean general-purpose VCA channels
based on the Alfa AS3360 chip, with normalling between the channels to make
stereo patching convenient. It's easy to build cross-fade and panning
patches with the separate inverting and non-inverting control voltages on
each channel. The global mix output works for combining voices, and there
are two sets of two-channel sum and difference outputs, allowing the Quad
VCA to serve as a mid-side encoder and decoder. The normally two-quadrant
VCA channels can even be used in pairs for two four-quadrant ("ring mod")
multipliers. With so many ways to use it, the Quad VCA could be the only
VCA module needed in a small portable rack, or the heart of a complex patch
in a large installation.
North Coast's Quad VCA is available as a pre-built 20HP Eurorack module
or a DIY kit. Remove the limits.
- Four channels of voltage-controlled amplification, each with an
inverting and a non-inverting control input.
- Separate offset knobs go a little below zero, so you can cancel
the "bleed" effect from small CV offsets introduced by other modules.
- Semi-permanently configurable (via DIP switch on the back) for
exponential or linear mode, per channel.
- Individual channel, four-way master sum, and two two-way sum and
- No compromises on build quality: real aluminum panel, not PCB material,
with colour printing; long-life conductive plastic potentiometers, fastened
to the panel; nickel and gold plating on the circuit boards; close-tolerance
metal film fixed resistors.
- Through-hole for easy hand construction and maintenance
- Fully open design - no lock-in
- 20HP Eurorack synthesizer module, 42mm deep including space for the
- DC-coupled and suitable for audio or control signals.
- Adjusted for accurate unity gain at +5V effective control voltage
in linear mode. Gain continues above unity to about +8V. In exponential
mode, gain is about 12dB/volt with unity at +5V.
- Maximum current requirements in normal use: 55mA +12V, 50mA -12V.
Reverse-power and missing-rail protected.
- Build difficulty: intermediate. All through-hole. Multimeter and fixed
voltage source recommended for adjustment.